Monday, November 8, 2010

Andrea Zittel, I think I love you

So I've been daydreaming about the trailer we're going to one day (hopefully sooner than later) buy, fix up, and call home. And I've been thinking about living simply, considering living small. I don't think it's a condition you are stuck with because you lack the finances to cut yourself a bigger chunk of the real estate pie - unless you are living in a rooming house. I've been in a rooming house. If you live in one of those 10ft by 14ft holes in the wall, I'm so so sorry. I will be living one step up in a trailer. But seriously, I don't think living small and simply is a devastation, I think it's a talent.

And because I love to think of myself as talented, I've been coming up with the most creative uses of space I can think of. If only I had the time, tools, materials and skill, I'd be building myself a kitchen table with a wine rack for a base. Or a kitchen table with a spice rack built in, right underneath the table top, edging all four sides. Or one with shelving below the table top made to hold place settings. Lots of table ideas for sure.

But none of my own ideas even compare to the space saving, multi-purpose furniture creations of Andrea Zittel - American designer and sculpture artist. She's amazing. And if she wants to come live in BC with me and Jay, and design our interior space for us, I'm sure there's room available (can you hear me Andrea? I'd gladly and lovingly adopt you in a heartbeat and Jay will just have to roll over and make room)



(http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/10/chasing_andrea.php)

No comments:

Post a Comment